In a CNN town hall meeting on April 23, the socialist senator from Vermont and 2020 presidential aspirant Bernie Sanders said:
“Yes, even for terrible people because once you start chipping away — you say, ‘That guy committed a terrible crime, we’re not going to let him vote,’ or ‘that person did that,’ you’re running down a slippery slope. So, I believe people who commit crimes, they pay the price and they get out of jail, they certainly should have the right to vote…I believe even if they are in jail, they’re paying the price to society, but that should not take away their inherent American right to participate in our democracy.”
Sanders’ proposal that convicted criminals in prison should have the right to vote was too much even for rabid anti-Trumper Cher.
In a tweet that she since deleted, she wrote: “Does Bernie Sanders Really Believe Ppl In Prison Who Are Murderers⁉️ Rapists⁉️ Child Molesters⁉️ BOSTON BOMBERS.…STILL DESERVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE⁉️”
According to a new Business Insider poll:
- The vast majority of Americans — roughly 75% — do not support Sen. Bernie Sanders’ proposal to enfranchise all prisoners.
- 20% said those convicted of non-violent offenses should be allowed to vote.
- Only 15% of respondents said all prisoners — regardless of their crimes — should keep their voting rights while behind bars.
- 30% said currently incarcerated people should lose their right to vote, but be re-enfranchised when they’re released.
- 24% said those convicted of violent felonies should permanently lose voting rights.
- Approximately 10% of respondents said they “don’t know” how they feel about this issue.
- Unsurprisingly, the poll found a stark divide in views on this issue along party lines. Nearly half (47%) of likely Democratic primary voters but only 21% of likely Republican primary voters support enfranchising prisoners in some capacity.
- $16.2 trillion tax hikes to fund millionaire-socialist Bernie Sanders’ Medicare For All plan
- Bernie Sanders hires an illegal as his 2020 presidential campaign secretary
- Bernie Sanders shirtless in the Soviet Union: 1988 video
Better than Drudge Report. Check out Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative frontpage founded by ex-military!