63% of Americans don't have $500 in savings for an emergency

Despite financial advisers’ oft-repeated advice that we should have in savings an amount that’s the equivalent of at least 3 months’ income/salary, Americans simply refuse to save.
I’ve posted on this again and again on FOTM. See:

Here I am, once again sounding the alarm like Cassandra, with the latest shocking statistics on the financially dangerous and irresponsible way most Americans choose to live.
precipiceMaggie McGrath reports for Forbes, Jan, 6, 2016:

  1. A new Bankrate.com survey found that 63% of Americans do not have enough savings to pay for a $500 emergency, such as a car repair, veterinary or medical bill. Only 37% of Americans have at least $500 in savings! For the other 63%, to pay for a $500 emergency they would have to resort to measures like cutting back spending in other areas (23%), charging to a credit card (15%), or borrowing funds from friends and family (15%) in order to meet the cost of the unexpected event. Bankrate senior investing analyst Sheyna Steiner asks: “I did wonder what would happen if it was $10,000, what would the answer have been then?”
  2. Magnify Money released the results of a study that found that 56.3% of people have less than $1,000 in their checking and savings accounts combined.

  3. Pew Charitable Trusts reported that 1 in 3 or 33% of American families have no savings at all.

H/t FOTM‘s josephbc69
See also:

~Eowyn

Rate this post

Please follow and like us:
error0
 

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of
WildVke
Guest

I can imagine most can’t afford having dental insurance! Hell we’re paying $862 mo. just for our medical coverage for 2 ppl ! No dental ! That’s just our Premium! Our deductible is $12,000 a yr ! That’s right! $12,000 out of pocket before insurance even picks up anything! Thanks to the “Affordable Health Care” What a bunch of bull hockey! Affordable my ass! It’s jumped from $711 a mo. just 2 yrs ago! How can the average working person afford anything, let alone saving anything for a rainy day, car repair, medical emergency Anything! My daughter, who is a… Read more »

WildVke
Guest

Correction > *raising our children

SimplyFred
Guest
SimplyFred

We could make immigrants (legal and non legal) ineligible for Social Security benefits and welfare. Immigrants should have to work in this country and pay taxes for three generations to become eligible for any government welfare programs. That would make them work harder.

Anonymous
Guest
Anonymous

Thanks, Democrats!! (That’s some “recovery” you guys gave us there… )

Joanne Rosemarie
Guest
Joanne Rosemarie

Same story here in Britain where our culture mirrors yours to a great extent. It is almost impossible to get a decent job where you’re not on the minimum wage. I was in that position and trying to retrain to better myself, and there’s no guarantee in that either. I have always tried my best to do the right thing but sometimes you cannot win, as in my previous job the manager wouldn’t let me take owed holiday which I needed to take to go on a residential university course. I was at my wits end and couldn’t see a… Read more »

MomOfIV
Guest
MomOfIV

scary…and considering this country wants to get rid of cash…all “money” you have they will know about…so you won’t even be able to save money under your mattress. If the govt or bank locks your account, you will have nothing…they will control it all.

truckjunkie
Guest
truckjunkie

” 56.3% of people have less than $1,000 in their checking and savings accounts combined.”
I have to wonder what percentage of America is living on less money than their basic needs cost every month. THAT figure makes “Savings” kinda irrelevant to me. (BTW-I have a truck for sale…)

evh
Guest
evh

The government doesn’t want the average person to save. Saving is discouraged by low interest rates etc. They want you to spend. The government has the idea one can spend their way out of a recession etc. Savings make a person independent of the government to a certain extent. When people have savings the government becomes nervous and must start figuring out ways to get your savings away from you. They call it redistribution of wealth. Today, slavery is for everybody.

squirrelmistresssquirrelmistress
Guest

i’ve never been able to have savings. i’ve had to have 2 jobs at times between raising 4 kids. almost everyone i know is 2 paychecks away form homelessness. this has all been planned by the elites to get rid of the middle class.