Obama inherited two wars from his predecessor — Iraq and Afghanistan. But he can’t blame Bush for the war he initiated more than a week ago against the Gaddafi regime in Libya. That’s Obama’s War, even if he obfuscates by calling it a “Kinetic Military Action” — an Orwellian euphemistic New Speak that no one in the MSM has the elemental courage to point out. A war by whatever name smells just as foul.
Obama couldn’t be bothered to consult Congress — the institution that alone has the Constitutional authority to declare wars. From his junket in South America, as Commander In Chief, he gave the “go” signal to our military to fly those F-15 jets and fire those Tomahawk cruise missiles on Libya. He rattled on at length about his March Madness basketball picks, but nothing about his kinetic war.
On Monday night, His Wordiness finally deigned to give the American people an accounting — a justification — for his war with a speech containing 3,362 words. To save you time (April 15th is only 17 days away!), Fellowship of the Minds cut through his verbiage. Here are THREE things you really need to know about Obama’s War:
Fact No. 1:
On March 28, 2011, Obama’s Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the United States HAS NO VITAL INTERESTS in Libya.
Fact No. 2:
On March 28, 2011, the Pentagon said that the cost to US taxpayers of Obama’s “
kinetic military action” war in Libya was $600 MILLION for the first week:
- U.S. ships and submarines in the Mediterranean have unleashed at least 191 Tomahawk cruise missiles to the tune of $268.8 million.
- U.S. warplanes have dropped 455 precision guided bombs, costing tens of thousands of dollars each.
- A downed Air Force F-15E fighter jet will cost more than $60 million to replace.
- Operation of the war craft, guzzling ever-expensive fuel to maintain their positions off the Libyan coast and in the skies above, could reach millions of dollars a week.
Fact No. 3:
On March 29, 2011, at approxmately 7pm, west coast time:
- The U.S. national debt is OVER 14 TRILLION DOLLARS: $14,262,703,284,888.
- US gross domestic product is $14,639, 682,230,000 (which means our national debt is almost the equivalent of our GDP!)
- Debt per citizen is $45,949.
- Debt per taxpayer is $128,383.
- America is broke.
- Obama’s War serves no national interest.
- We can’t afford Obama’s war.