An unspoken rule among U.S. presidents is that a president who had left the White House refrains from criticizing his successor.
The reason for that etiquette isn’t politeness, but rather the recognition that a new president needs breathing room to familiarize himself with the job, find his footing, and establish his policies and way of doing things without the distraction and detraction of what the former president thinks or says.
The etiquette also pertains to the relationship between a new president and the press, with the latter according the former a “honeymoon period”.
Neither tradition is being observed in the case of President Donald John Trump.
It’s been only 10 days since his presidency ended, but former president Barack Obama is already speaking out and mobilizing against President Trump.
Vox reports that today, January 30, 2017, Obama’s office released a statement praising anti-Trump protesters and stating that Obama “fundamentally disagrees” with Trump’s executive order on immigration and refugees.
The full text, attributed to Obama’s spokesperson Kevin Lewis, reads:
President Obama is heartened by the level of engagement taking place in communities around the country. In his final official speech as President, he spoke about the important role of citizens and how all Americans have a responsibility to be the guardians of our democracy — not just during an election but every day.
Citizens exercising their Constitutional right to assemble, organize and have their voices heard by their elected officials is exactly what we expect to see when American values are at stake.
With regard to comparisons to President Obama’s foreign policy decisions, as we’ve heard before, the President fundamentally disagrees with the notion of discriminating against individuals because of their faith.
While praising “the level of engagement taking place in communities around the country” against President Trump, Obama makes no mention of, much less disavows or condemns, the many violent anti-Trump “engagements” and death threats, such as:
- Anti-Trump protest in Seattle: “We need to start killing people”
- Anti-Trump mob knocks Trump supporter unconscious at Portland Airport
- WANTED: Woman who set a Trump supporter’s hair on fire
- Secret Service will investigate Madonna for her ‘blow up the White House’ remark in expletive-filled rant at women’s march
- Dallas schoolteacher ‘shoots’ President Trump, screaming ‘Die!’
- Black singer withdraws from Trump Inauguration after blacks call her ‘house n*gger’ and tell her to ‘kill yourself’
- Opera star Andrea Bocelli backs out of Trump inauguration after receiving death threats
- Left Behaving Badly: woman thrown off commercial flight for harassing Trump supporter
Nor is Obama condemning the verbal assaults and insults directed at President Trump’s wife and children:
- Gay man, Daniel Goldstein, kicked from JetBlue flight for verbally assaulting Ivanka Trump
- Chelsea Handler says Melania Trump ‘barely speaks English’
- Angry Libtard: ‘Avengers’ director Joss Whedon calls Ivanka Trump a dog
- A libtard’s idea of comedy: ‘Barron will be this country’s first homeschool shooter’
H/t FOTM‘s hadenoughalready and shappens