Elections are bitterly fought contests. But in a democratic system such as the United States, what enables us to function despite our political differences is this:
The U.S. political system operates on the principle of DUE PROCESS — established rules, procedures, and conventions that are honored and observed by all, including and especially the political party and their adherents who lost in elections.
It is this observance of Due Process that enables us to function as a country via the ballot, not the bullet.
But in the 2016 presidential election, the losing side refuses to observe Due Process, but instead are resorting to extra-procedural methods to subvert the election, including:
- Lying: see “Fake News: Washington Post’s CIA report that Russia intervened in elections to help Trump” and “CIA: Washington Post lied about a secret CIA report that Russia intervened in 2016 election”.
- Death threats at President-elect Donald Trump and the Electoral College: see “Threats to assassinate Trump from CEO, banker and newspaper columnist,” “‘Love Trumps Hate’: Assassination threats against Trump flood Twitter,” “Darknet website is soliciting donations to assassinate Trump & Pence,” “Hillary supporters send death threats to Electoral College,” “High school teacher allows students to perform skit of assassination of Trump,” “This is CNN: Correspondent Caught Joking About Donald Trump’s Plane Crashing,” “Actor/comedian Patton Oswalt calls on ISIS to attack Trump’s hotels”.
- Firing, or threatening to fire, pro-Trump employees: see “TV reporter fired after writing Facebook post praising Trump,” “GrubHub CEO threatens to fire employees who voted for Trump,” and Matthew Blanfield, owner of lst in SEO, an internet marketing company in Albuquerque, NM.
- Refusing to provide service to customers: see “Starbucks calls cops on man for asking ‘Trump’ be written on his cup”.
Now, amidst an Arctic freeze, a gas distributor in Maine — Turner LP Gas Service on Canaan Rd, Skowhegan, ME 04976 — is refusing to deliver gas to anyone who had voted for Trump.
Michael Shepherd reports for the Bangor Daily News, Dec. 16, 2016, that Michael Turner, owner of Turner LP Gas Service in Skowhegan, declares his refusal in a voicemail:
“Thank you for calling Turner LP Gas. If you voted for Donald Trump for president, I will no longer be delivering your gas — please find someone else.”
You can hear Bangor Daily News‘ recording of Turner’s voicemail message for yourself here.
In so doing, Turner is willing to alienate more than half of his community:
- Trump won Somerset County, Maine — in which Skowhegan is located — by a huge margin of 57.73% to Hillary Clinton’s 35%.
- In Skowhegan specifically, Trump’s margin of victory was smaller but he still won 50% of the vote to Hillary’s 40%.
Reached on Friday night (Dec. 16) by Bangor Daily News, Turner said he recorded the message on Election Day, Nov. 8, and downplayed his voicemail as “just a statement.” At the same time, Turner called Trump “despicable” and “the Antichrist” who —
“is surrounding himself with white supremacists, racists, and now he’s got a bunch of generals going into his cabinet. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pulled a Fidel Castro: Declare martial law and take over.”
Although Turner told Bangor Daily News that “I wouldn’t cut anyone off that was freezing,” a customer, Jason W., wrote on Turner LP Gas’ Yelp page that Turner refused him gas:
“The President [of Turner LP Gas Service] called to tell us he won’t deliver us a gas A needed energy source for this time of year bc we voted for Trump. My gas is running low and can’t find anyone in the area to deliver. My kids and I will be getting cold and need gas. I can’t believe this guy would put his political beliefs before his duty as a business to serve the people. Moral character for this guy is at an all time low. Boycott his business!”
For this business to refuse — or threatening to refuse — to deliver gas to Trump supporters in the Arctic freeze that’s enveloped much of the U.S., including the state of Maine, is unconscionable. Even in normal winters, average temperatures in Skowhegan are below freezing, with an average high of 31º in December, 26º in January, and 30º in February. many Mainers, especially the state’s senior citizens, rely on fuel deliveries to survive Maine’s harsh winter. Turner’s refusal to deliver gas to Trump supporters can become a matter of life or death if they can’t find another gas supplier.
Bangor Daily News points out that “Turner’s move is legal” because the Maine Human Rights Act bans discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, but not for political beliefs or affiliation.
That being said, Turner’s refusal to deliver gas to Trump supporters cannot be justified by his business being privately-owned and, therefore, supposedly has the right to deny services to whomever it pleases, because the Left put an end to that right by persecuting, prosecuting and convicting Christian-owned bakeries for refusing to bake cakes for homosexual weddings.
After Bangor Daily News reported on Turner’s refusal on Dec. 16, Turner said he’d already received 50 voicemails, most of which were from angry Trump supporters, although one of four were supportive. He said he’s not fearful for his business because he’s retiring soon, and he’s mulling becoming more politically active.
After speaking to Bangor Daily News, Turner has gone silent. Polizette said he “did not immediately return calls” on Dec. 16, nor was Snopes.com able to reach Turner LP Gas on Dec. 18. Before I published this post, I called Turner LP Gas Service’s phone number (207) 474-7556, but received no answer.
I searched that phone number on Spokeo and got these results, including a physical address on Canaan Road:
Michael A. Turner, Age 61
P. O. Box 1018
Skowhagen, ME 04976
It appears Michael Turner now has second thoughts and is weaseling out.
Turner LP Gas Service’s listing on Yelp (yp) has three pro-Trump pictures on its Gallery: #TrumpIsPotus, Trump Is My President, TRUMP Make America Great Again. Turner LP Gas’ listing on manta, the online small business directory, has its website as http://www.donaldjtrump.com:
H/t FOTM‘s Longknife 21 and GiGi