MyFoxChicago: Three people were killed and at least 23 others, including a 7-year-old girl, have been wounded in shootings across Chicago since late Friday.
The most recent fatal shooting happened about 1 a.m. Sunday in the Chatham neighborhood on the South Side, police said. Two boys, ages 16 and 17, were standing on the sidewalk in the 8200 block of South Ingleside when someone walked up and fired shots at them, police said. Crime
The 16-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the chest and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was later pronounced dead, police said. The Cook County medical examiner’s office couldn’t immediately confirm the death. The 17-year-old was shot in the leg and was also taken to Christ Medical Center, where his condition was stabilized. A police source said the 17-year-old is a known gang member.
About two hours earlier, a 44-year-old man was shot to death in the West Englewood neighborhood on the South Side. He was standing on a sidewalk about 11:05 p.m. Saturday in the 6000 block of South Throop when someone got out of a black SUV and opened fire, police said. The man was struck in the head and back and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, police said. The medical examiner’s office confirmed the fatality, but did not release additional details early Sunday.
The weekend’s first fatal shooting happened shortly after 4 a.m. Saturday in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. Two men, ages 28 and 34, were sitting in a parked vehicle in the 2900 block of West Lexington when a black vehicle pulled up alongside them and someone inside opened fire, according to Chicago Police.
The older man was shot in the chest and shoulder and pronounced dead at the scene at 4:36 a.m., authorities said. The younger man was shot in the neck, chest and shoulder and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where police said his condition stabilized. Investigators think the shooting was gang-related.
The weekend’s first shooting left a 7-year-old girl and 32-year-old man wounded in the Kenwood neighborhood on the South Side. They were in a vehicle about 10:40 p.m. in the 4600 block of South Ellis when someone walked up and opened fire, police said. The man then drove them to the University of Chicago Medical Center.
The girl was shot in the arm and was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where she was expected to be treated and released Saturday morning, police said. The man was shot in the back and was treated and released at the University of Chicago. A police source said the man is a documented gang member and a convicted felon.
The most recent shooting happened about 4:45 a.m. Sunday in the Calumet Heights neighborhood on the South Side. A 52-year-old man was sleeping in his car in the 9100 block of South Anthony about 4:45 a.m. when he heard gunshots and felt pain, police said. He was shot in the ear and taken to Christ Medical Center where his condition was stabilized.
Less than an hour earlier, two men were shot in the East Garfield park neighborhood on the West Side. About 4:05 a.m., the men, ages 28 and 30, were standing outside in the 3300 block of West Walnut when someone walked up and fired shots, police said.
The 28-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the head and was taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, police said. The older man was shot in the left thigh, police said. He was also taken to Mount Sinai, where his condition was stabilized. A police source said both men are documented gang members.
At least 16 other people have been shot across Chicago in separate attacks since 11:45 p.m. Friday.
Additionally, Chicago Police officers shot and killed a man who they claim tried to run them over with a car early Saturday in Pilsen.
- Another typical weekend in Chicago: 4 killed, 29 wounded
- Same ‘ol, same ‘ol in Chicago: 2 killed, 25 wounded in weekend shootings
- Another typical Chicago weekend: 35 shot — 1 fatally — in gun violence
- Hey #blacklivesmatter and #gunsense crowd: More shootings in Chicago this past weekend
- Gun control, Chicago style: 3 dead, 31 wounded in weekend shootings
- Another deadly weekend in Chicago: 4 killed, 18 wounded in shootings
- The Chicago Way: Too many dead & shot, and father of 7-year-old victim is notorious gang member who won’t cooperate with law enforcement
- Gun control, Chicago style: 5 killed, 27 wounded in weekend shootingsChicago Gun Control at Work: 6 killed, 23 wounded in Memorial Day weekend shootings
- Another brutal weekend: 40 shot, 1 fatally, in Chicago gun violence
- Same old thing in Chicago: 2 dead, 24 wounded in weekend shootings across city
- Paging the #BlackLivesMatter crowd: 5 killed, 22 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings
- What’s happening in Chicago? Same old thing: 3 killed, 14 wounded in weekend gun violence
- Another typical weekend in Chicago: 3 killed, 18 wounded in weekend shootings