MyFoxChicago: Five people were killed and at least 27 others have been hurt in shootings across Chicago since Friday evening.
The most recent fatal shooting happened early Sunday in the West Side Austin neighborhood. Two males were driving in the 1600 block of North Cicero about 3:50 a.m. when a light-colored vehicle pulled up alongside and someone inside fired shots, police said. One of the males was shot in his head and the other male was shot multiple times in his body, police said. Their ages were not immediately available. Both were taken to Stroger Hospital, where they were pronounced dead, police said. The Cook County medical examiner’s office could not immediately confirm the fatalities.
Early Saturday, a 17-year-old boy was shot dead in the Bridgeport neighborhood on the South Side. Richard Edwards and an 18-year-old man had left a party about 2:15 a.m. after they were “involved in an altercation,” according to police and the medical examiner’s office. As they were driving in a van in the 700 block of West 35th Street, a light-colored SUV pulled up and someone inside opened fire, police said. Edwards, of the 3900 block of South Lake Park, was shot in the armpit and was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. The other man was shot in the hand and shoulder and taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition stabilized, police said.
As police investigated, a woman who said she was the teen’s mother was a half block away on Halsted, crying and pleading with officers to let her see her son’s body, which was covered by a sheet. “I just want my child,” she said. “I need to touch him. I need to hold him. I need to feel him.”
Late Friday, a 27-year-old man was discovered fatally shot in the Little Village neighborhood on the Southwest Side. Juan Ugalde was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound to the side of his face just before 10 p.m. in the 2300 block of South Washtenaw, authorities said. Ugalde, of the 2800 block of West 21st Street, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The weekend’s first shooting left 34-year-old Laurance Boyd dead Friday evening in the West Pullman neighborhood, authorities said. Boyd was sitting in a parked vehicle about 6 p.m. in the 1300 block of West 122nd Street when a gunman walked up and fired multiple shots, police said. The shooter then ran off eastbound.
Edwards, of the 12700 of South May in Calumet Park, was shot twice in the back and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he later died, officials said.
Early Saturday, five people were shot when gunfire erupted outside an Austin neighborhood party on the West Side. They were outside the party in the 0-100 block of North Lorel about 3 a.m. when a gunman approached from a gangway and opened fire, police said.
A 33-year-old woman was shot in the “neck or face” and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, police said. A 37-year-old woman was shot in the buttocks and a 38-year-old woman in the hand. They were also taken to Mount Sinai, where their conditions stabilized, police said. Two men — ages 23 and 26 — were each shot in the leg and taken to Stroger Hospital, where their conditions stabilized.
The weekend’s most recent nonfatal shooting happened Sunday morning in Englewood. A 38-year-old man was sitting in a vehicle in the 5700 block of South Lowe a few minutes after 5 a.m. when someone fired shots, police said.
He was shot in the left leg and someone drove him to Christ Medical Center, where his condition stabilized, police said.
At least 20 other people have been shot in separate attacks since Friday 7:45 p.m. Friday.
Meanwhile, instead of facing the real cause of these criminal acts, Reverend Michael Pfleger listed recent shootings in heavily gun-controlled Chicago then said the NRA “will pay pay for the murder of our children.”
- Another deadly weekend in Chicago: 2 killed, 21 wounded in weekend shootings
- Chicago Gun Control at Work: 6 killed, 23 wounded in Memorial Day weekend shootings
- Another brutal weekend: 40 shot, 1 fatally, in Chicago gun violence
- Same old thing in Chicago: 2 dead, 24 wounded in weekend shootings across city
- Paging the #BlackLivesMatter crowd: 5 killed, 22 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings
- What’s happening in Chicago? Same old thing: 3 killed, 14 wounded in weekend gun violence
- Another typical weekend in Chicago: 3 killed, 18 wounded in weekend shootings
- New Year: Business as Usual in Chicago…
- Chicago ends 2014 with fewer homicides, but shooting victims up 14 percent
- #BlackLivesMatter? What about blacks in Chicago? And black babies?
- This is a good weekend in Chicago: 3 dead, 11 wounded in weekend shootings
- Monday Chicago shooting report: Same story every weekend…
- Chicago gun violence: What is it going to take to get people mad? (10/6)
- Paging Emanuel, Sharpton and Jackson: Do you know what’s happening in Chicago EVERY weekend?
- A good weekend in Chicago? Less than a dozen shot (9/15)Quiz time: How many were shot in Chicago over the weekend?