MyFoxChicago: Two people were killed and at least 16 others were wounded in shootings across Chicago since Friday evening.
One man was shot dead and another was wounded in a drive-by shooting early Sunday in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood.The men were standing on a corner in the 4400 block of South Honore about 12:30 a.m. when a red SUV and a light car pulled up and the occupants fired shots, police said. A 40-year-old man was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene, police said. A 38-year-old man was shot in the neck and taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition stabilized.
People who knew the 40-year-old gathered under sheets of rain at the scene, some arguing with police about why his body was still on scene an hour after the shooting. Friends of the victim said he had been released from a three-year prison stint a couple months ago.
Carmen Galzan, 37, said she had grown up with the man in the neighborhood and described him as a “silly” and “funny” friend. She said he had been gang-affiliated since he was a kid. “He just came out of jail, and he was just tired,” Galzan said. “He was just tired of living this life.”
The other fatal shooting of the weekend happened early Saturday in Englewood. Kelly Burrell, 23, and a 20-year-old man were on a porch in the 7300 block of South Green at 2:50 a.m. Saturday when a light-colored vehicle drove up and someone inside fired shots, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office. Both were taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said.
Burrell was shot in the chest and was pronounced dead at the hospital, authorities said. She lived on the same block as the shooting. The man suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and a graze wound to the abdomen and his condition was stabilized, police said.
The most recent nonfatal shooting happened Sunday afternoon in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. Officers responding to a call of shots fired about 12:50 p.m. in the 2800 block of West Polk found a 20-year-old man on a sidewalk with a gunshot wound to the back, police said. He was taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
At least 13 other people have been wounded in separate shootings across the city since 5:30 p.m. Friday.
- Gun control, Chicago style: 5 killed, 27 wounded in weekend shootings
- Another deadly weekend in Chicago: 2 killed, 21 wounded in weekend shootings
- Chicago Gun Control at Work: 6 killed, 23 wounded in Memorial Day weekend shootings
- Another brutal weekend: 40 shot, 1 fatally, in Chicago gun violence
- Same old thing in Chicago: 2 dead, 24 wounded in weekend shootings across city
- Paging the #BlackLivesMatter crowd: 5 killed, 22 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings
- What’s happening in Chicago? Same old thing: 3 killed, 14 wounded in weekend gun violence
- Another typical weekend in Chicago: 3 killed, 18 wounded in weekend shootings
- New Year: Business as Usual in Chicago…
- Chicago ends 2014 with fewer homicides, but shooting victims up 14 percent
- #BlackLivesMatter? What about blacks in Chicago? And black babies?
- This is a good weekend in Chicago: 3 dead, 11 wounded in weekend shootings
- Monday Chicago shooting report: Same story every weekend…
- Chicago gun violence: What is it going to take to get people mad? (10/6)
- Paging Emanuel, Sharpton and Jackson: Do you know what’s happening in Chicago EVERY weekend?
- A good weekend in Chicago? Less than a dozen shot (9/15)Quiz time: How many were shot in Chicago over the weekend?