By David Limbaugh • Townhall.com • July 7, 2015
Lately I’ve shared my lament that in America today we are witnessing a surreal transformation of the greatest nation in history. Last week, a spate of headlines made this point better than I could make it on my own.
I was minding my business, mind you, surfing the Internet to check out the news and political sites and forums I customarily visit, and these news and column headlines, most from last week, some from a bit earlier and a few from this week, bombarded me. I wasn’t looking for trouble. Nor was the satirical website The Onion one of the sites I visited. The world is upside down, inside out, sideways, crazy, nutso. Bad is good; up is down. Left is right; right is wrong. Evil is good; insanity is sanity. Abnormal is normal. Circles are squares. Hot is cold. Luke warm is red hot — among Republicans, anyway. Common sense is uncommon. The world is otherworldly. Dissent is “hate.” Diversity means conformity. The good guys are the bad guys; virtue is vice; sophistry is intellectualism; jerks are celebrated; debauchery is glorified; the holy is debauched. Let me share some of these headlines, which speak for themselves — loudly and depressingly.
• Shakespeare’s Works — Too Hard, Too White.
• Obama Red-Faced: Iran Nuclear Stockpiles Grew 20 Percent in 18 months.
• Obamacare Dangerous to Our Health.
• Eye-Popping Premium Increases.
• Obama, Clinton Want To Enforce ‘Correct’ Thinking in America.
• High School Denies Pro-Life Club!
• Pentagon Officials Call Out Obama’s ‘Pathetic’ ISIS Strategy.
• Shabazz Calls on Nation of Islam, New Black Panther ‘Army’ to Defend Black Communities Against Police Brutality.
• Obama: Climate Change Deniers Endangering National Security.
• Team Clinton Swarms Sunday Interview Shows, Minus Hillary.
• Antonin Scalia Is Unfit To Serve: A Justice Who Rejects Science and the Law for Religion Is of Unsound Mind.
• In L.A., Obama addresses Washington’s Dysfunction: “I Did Not Say I Would Fix It.”
• Authorities: Gay Slur Carved Into Utah Man’s Arm Was Staged.
• Justice Department: Transgender Students Can Use Bathrooms that Match Their Gender Identity.
• Political Correctness 101: Praising America, Virtues of Hard Work Dubbed ‘Micro-Aggression’ On Campuses.
• Video Shows U.S. Citizens Willing To Ban American Flag.
• Are Americans of Faith in Danger?
• Obama Administration Says Redskins Nickname Could Block Potential Stadium Deal.
• TV Land Drops “Dukes of Hazzard” Amid Confederate Flag Controversy.
• Gay Teacher Files Federal Discrimination Lawsuit Against Catholic School.
• Terrific: Attorney in Charge of Releasing Lois Lerner ‘Lost’ Emails Now in Charge of HRC’s Emails.
• For Obama, Rainbow White House Was ‘A Moment Worth Savoring.’
• Montana Polygamist Family Applies for Marriage License.
• 74 Children Executed by ISIS for ‘Crimes’ That Include Refusal To Fast, Report Says.
• New Undercover Footage Shows VA Officials Admitting of ‘Unaccountability at Every Level.’
• Black Teacher Hits Handicapped White Child, Tells Him Black People Fought To Not ‘Serve White People Like You.’
• Girl Scouts Raise $250K for Transgender Cause.
• Teen Leads Mob in Ransacking of Georgia Walmart.
• U.S. Debt Headed Toward Greek Levels.
• Obama Administration Invokes Executive Privilege on Benghazi Probe?
• United Church of Christ Anti-Israel Extremism.
• U.S. Troops in Afghanistan ‘Feel Abandoned.’
• More than 42 Million Muslims ‘Support ISIS.’
• 17 Shot Since Monday Morning in Baltimore.
• Baltimore Mayor Wants Park Named for Robert E. Lee Changed, Other Monuments May Come Down.
• Christian Preachers Brutally Beaten at Gay Pride Festival.
• Seattle 6th Graders Can’t Get a Coke at School, but Can Get an IUD.
• Local Minister Urges the Flying of Black Liberation Flag This Weekend.
• Christian Bakers Face $135K Fine and Gag Order Over Wedding Cake for Same-Sex Couple.
• Center for American Progress Helped Craft EPA Talking Points, Emails Show.
• White House Blames GOP for Kathryn Steimle’s Slaying, Rise in Gun Violence.
• 10 Killed, 55 Wounded in Fourth of July Gun Violence in Chicago.
• Shock: Arizona Paper Decries Border Fence As Too High For Mexicans To Safely Jump.
• California Family Supports 4-Year-Old’s Decision To Transition from Male to Female.
• Illegal Alien Who Murdered Woman Went to San Francisco Because It Was a ‘Sanctuary City.’
• Chris Matthews: Hillary Clinton is ‘More of a Conservative … Traditional Politician.’
• Netanyahu Says Nuke Deal Getting Worse by the Day.
• Chicago Convulsed By Another Violent Weekend; Top Cop Blames Justice System.
To David Limbaugh’s list, I add these other crazy headlines (h/t FOTM’s MomOfIV, CSM, Glenn47, and marblenecltr):
With the hindsight knowledge of the past 6½ years, I truly believe America reached a tipping point or “jumped the shark” when millions elected Barack Obama to the White House in 2008, then re-elected him in 2012.
Do you think America has crossed the Rubicon, past the point of no return? Sound off!