We knew it was coming.
Now, it’s here.
When the 113th Congress convenes in a week on January 3, 2013, long-time gun control advocate Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-Ca) will introduce a bill, provisionally called the “2013 Feinstein Assault Weapons Legislation,” to restrict our Second Amendment right to bear arms.
At this point, we don’t have the bill’s number or a formal name. All we have is this summary of the proposed legislation from Feinstein’s website:
1. Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
2. Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
3. Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
4. Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
5. Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
A pdf of the bill summary is available here.
Gosh, do you think Diane Feinstein’s proposed ban will be applied to her armed guards? [Snark]
Click Here for contact info for your Congress critter.
“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.” –Thomas Jefferson
H/t ConservativeByte and FOTM’s Tina.