Affirmative Action Racial Preference raises its ugly head, again.
It’s one thing to admit lackluster or worse, sub-par, candidates into universities and law schools. But when it comes to medical school admissions, the consequences can be more serious.
U. of Michigan Economics Professor Mark J. Perry writes in his blog, Carpe Diem, on Feb. 11, 2012, that medical school acceptance rates show a pattern of preferential treatment toward Blacks and Hispanics.
The chart above (click to enlarge) shows medical school acceptance rates for Asians, whites, Hispanics and blacks based on data from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) for the years 2009-2011 (aggregated).
For 2011, the average GPA (grade point average) of students applying to medical schools was 3.53 and the average total MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) score was 28. The chart displays the acceptance rates for students applying to medical schools with average GPAs (3.40-3.59) and average MCAT scores (27-29) in the highlighted blue column, and the acceptance rates for those students with slightly higher and slightly lower than average GPAs and test scores in the other columns. In other words, the table displays acceptance rates by race and ethnicity for students applying to medical school with average academic credentials (or just slightly above or below average). Here are some observations:
1. For those students applying to medical school with average GPAs (3.40 to 3.59) and average MCAT scores (27-29), black applicants were almost three times more likely to be admitted than their Asian counterparts (85.9% vs. 30%), and 2.4 times more likely than their white counterparts (85.9% vs. 35.9%). Likewise, Hispanic students with average GPAs and average MCAT scores were about twice as likely to be accepted as white applicants (68.7% vs. 35.9%), and more than twice as likely as Asian applicants (68.7% vs. 30%).
2. For students applying to medical school with slightly below average GPAs of 3.20-3.39 (the letter-grade equivalent is B+) and slightly below average MCAT scores of 24-26 (first column in the table), black applicants were more than 8 times as likely to be admitted as Asians (67.3% vs. 7.7%), and more than 5 times as likely as whites.
Professor Perry concludes with this “bottom line” observation that instead of being race-neutral, i.e., free of any racial preferences, “medical school acceptance data suggest that medical schools must have admission policies that favor blacks and Hispanics over Asian and white students.”
H/t FOTM’s Eyes Wide Open
The plain and unhappy truth is that human beings are not equal in our biological attributes. Most of us are average in height, looks, and intelligence. Some of us are short, ugly, and not very bright — though only a very very few have all three unfortunate attributes.
Due to sheer randomness, when human beings are gathered in groups — any group — there will be differences of attributes between one group and another, as well as within each group. Those attributes will include intelligence.
For example, if we were to compare the intelligence (measured in IQ or Intelligence Quotient units) of the readers of FOTM with each other, there will be differences:
- Most of us have average IQs;
- Some of us have somewhat below- or above-average IQs;
- A few of us have really low or very high IQs.
And if we compare the average IQ of readers of FOTM with the average IQ of readers of another blog, there will also be a difference. Hopefully, ours is higher than HuffPo’s! LOL
And so, a plain truth that has been confirmed again and again and again, over the course of decades and by different scientists, is this:
There are differences in the average IQs of racial-ethnic groups — whatever the reasons are, whether nature or nurture or both.
Races, as Steven Pinker wrote in The Blank Slate, are just rather large families; families share genes and thus, genetic disposition.
The average IQ of human beings is 100. In his book on race and IQ, The Global Bell Curve, Professor Richard Lynn found that, across the world, there are “consistent hierarchies of IQ and achievement” which can be summarized as follows:
- East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans): Average IQ of 105
- Europeans: Average IQ 100*
- South East Asians: Average IQ 87
- North Africans: Average IQ of 84
- Sub-Saharan Africans: Average IQ of 67–80
- Australian Aborigines: Average IQ of 62
* Two European sub-groups — Ashkenazi Jews and Scots — have average IQs of higher than 100, higher than the 105 average IQ of East Asians.
Before East Asians, Ashkenazi Jews, or Scots start congratulating themselves and getting all puffed up with pride, just remember this:
1. The IQ score — of 105 and higher for these three groups — IS AN AVERAGE IQ SCORE FOR THE ENTIRE GROUP! That doesn’t mean any or every East Asian, Ashkenazi Jew, or Scot you meet has that high IQ score. As with any group, there is variability in intelligence within and among East Asians, Ashkenazi Jews, and Scots. And so most East Asians have an IQ of 105; some have IQs of somewhat lower or higher than 105; a few will have really low or really high IQs. In other words, there are plenty of stupid East Asians, Ashkenazi Jews, and Scots.
2. Intelligence isn’t and shouldn’t be made a fetish. Between intelligence and goodness, I will take goodness every time. History has plenty of examples of intelligent men who perpetrated horrors of great evil.
Besides, I don’t understand why anyone would take pride in something that we got from our biological inheritance. It’s not as if our height, natural good looks, or intelligence is something that we achieved. They are God’s entirely gratuitous (unearned) gifts. Our obligation is to use our gifts well, so we can account for them to the Creator in the end.
That being said, the reality is that there are racial-ethnic differences in IQ, whether we like it or not.
That American colleges, universities, law schools and medical schools insist on using politically-correct racial-preference criteria for their admissions is a willing blindness that is not only foolish but, in the case of med schools, can have disastrous consequences.